The leadership team of The Assembly Saline is comprised of a group of mature Christians who have hearts committed to serving Jesus Christ and are committed to using their gifts for the Kingdom of God.
Serving Saline and the surrounding communities since 1957
Our Beginnings - Bemis Road
The church started as prayer meetings in the homes of Garland and Pat Busch and Milford and Gwen Rudduck, led by. Rev. George Moore and his wife, Alvina. In 1957, the church was officially launched in a meeting room at the corner of Michigan Avenue and Saline-Milan Road while a parsonage and large garage was built behind the Dairy Queen at 400 Bemis Road on land purchased from the Brown family farm.
Pastor Moore was followed by Revs. Robert and Darlene Muirhead in 1962 and Rev. Charles Bergler in 1966. Pastor Bergler was a builder and the contractor who built the church parsonage and garage several years prior. Shortly after arriving, Pastor Bergler’s wife passed from cancer and he later remarried Donna Barlond. The Berglers left the church in 1972 and were followed by Revs. Duane and Joylene Miller in 1973. The Millers were called to an evangelistic ministry and resigned from the church after 21 months. Rev. Miller suggested the Board contact Rev. David Thompson as a possible replacement and in January 1975, Pastor David and Damaris Thompson were unanimously called to serve the church.
A New Season - Old Creek Drive
The Thompsons ministered at what was then called First Assembly of God Church for almost 18 years., During his ministry, the church grew from 30 people to as many as 300. In 1976, the church voted to begin a Christian School with 6 children enrolled. Mrs. Debbie Donahue was the first teacher and Mrs. Karen Sanders was the first principal. Saline Christian School was born. Soon, the church and school outgrew its facilities on Bemis Road and purchased 15.5 acres on Old Creek Drive in 1978. A multipurpose building was constructed with Pastor Bergler returning as the construction superintendent. The church and school flourished in their new facilities. In August 1982, Pastor Thompson resigned as pastor of the church to become missionaries to East Africa.
Rev. Randall Bomey answered the call to become our senior pastor. Under his leadership, the church and school continued to grow and in 2000 the "new" sanctuary was built. The school purchased land at the corner of Moon and US 12 and relocated to new facilities, adopting the name of Washtenaw Christian Academy. With their departure, several families also relocated to the new church meeting in the WCA facilities. Pastor and Deanna Bomey served faithfully for 25 years and retired in 2017.
Rev. V. Glenn Smith came in 2018, departing just as churches were closed due to COVID-19. The pastoral turnovers and the pandemic took its toll and only 18 people remained when the church reopened in July 2020. Rev. Otis Buchan served as an interim pastor throughout the shutdown and was followed by Rev. Rachel Ross in December 2020. The name of the church was changed to The Assembly Saline in the spring of 2021 and the church began to grow. Pastor Rachel stepped down due to health issues in December 2021 and in March 2022, our current Pastor, Rev. Lynn McCain, accepted the call to be our pastor.